Wednesday, August 15, 2007

What Do I Do With This?

A spiny sea creature staring glassily from the ice at a fish market. A mysterious jar of. . .something gleaming from a shelf at an Italian deli. Unidentifiable tubers, tempting yet intimidating, at a farmer's market.

What are they? What do you do with them?

I have no idea. I can't find anything on the web to tell me. It looks like I'm actually going to have to figure it out on my own.

My mission: Use research and experimentation try out a new food item every week. Either I won't know :
a) what it is at all (e.g. about half of any produce stand in Chinatown) or
b) what to do with it (e.g. any whole fish).

My goals: 1. Educate myself about foods I've been to shy or too lazy to find out about before;
2. Do the legwork for people who are likewise inhibited but curious;
3. Encourage culinary experimentation and adventurousness;
4. Have fun!

Ok, see you with something interesting next week!

No comments: